Wednesday 30 March 2011

Part 2 Elements of Design; Project: Rhythm and Pattern

Exercise: Rhythms and patterns
Objective: To produce two types of  images, one to show visual rhythm and a second to show a pattern.

4939: 1/200s f7.1 27mm

I took inspiration from the course book for this image showing rhythm. The regular repetition of the chimneys, gables, doors and windows provide the visual beat. The flow from right to left follows the path and the figure on the left with the topiary provides a final resting point for the eye. Click on the image to see a larger version.
 1188: 1/144s f5.9 19mm (compact camera)
I took this a couple of months ago while at the supermarket. At first glance I wasn't sure whether I should abstarct the pattern or use the whole image to show rhythm. I chose the latter. The horizontal block paving gives emphasis and the strong diagonals give movement left to right which is arrested by the tubular "Y" shape.
 4940: 1/160s f5 80mm
I was intrigued by the circular pattern on this manhole cover. I zoomed in on the central section to abstract the pattern. I placed the diagonal to give movement from corner to corner and I resisted the temptation to put the smallest circle in the centre. Think that helps to stabilise the image. I only took one shot so the composition was instinctive.
4955: 1/125s f18 90mm (studio flash - 60cm softbox 45° to right)
As rain had stopped play, I returned indoors to set up a pattern with these coloured pencils. I have alternated them top to tail to add interest and to make more of a pattern. Laying them out all the same way seemed predictable and encourages your attention into one area of  the frame.
4950: see above


Archive Photographs:
I searched through my collection  for rhythm and pattern images. I included a rhythm image in the "curves" exercise here and also found this spiral staircase. The steps give a different kind of visual beat.
I have included this as a pattern although the strong diagonals do give it a certain dynamism. These mirrored windows are angled against the sun and reflect the balconies of the older building opposite. Photographed from the opposite direction they have an enigmatic quality which makes them more of a pattern but still with movement along the diagonals.

What did I learn? This is the final project in the Elements of Design section. I have learned that the distinction between rhythm and pattern is fairly fine. A pattern with rhythmic elements will have a dynamism which will effect the way we look at it. Pattern is linked to an area. It will be static, homogenous and won't pull the eye in any particular direction. As a result, it should encourage the eye to roam over the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment